Monday, February 23, 2009

Reunion

Though I never thought I'd be able to say this, in all honesty, I think I am adjusting quite well to our new, much simpler, way of life here in Guatemala. Boiling water so that I can take a warm shower really isn't that big of a deal, and I have discovered that with one large pot of water, there is plenty for me to wash my hair AND shave my legs! :o) Hanging clothes to dry on the clothesline on our upstairs patio is actually quite enjoyable as well. I love the smell of the clothes as the sun and wind dry them. No t.v. is truly a blessing, and has allowed our family to spend more quality time together. Our house is very humble and lacking quite a few of the amenities that we had living in the states (ie: refrigerator, stove/oven, furniture), but we have learned to make the best of our situation, and get creative, remembering that this residence is only temporary - and rent free. God is providing for all of our needs, one day at a time. We are very blessed, and I would have to agree with my friend Amy (Messinger) back home when she says that being poor truly is a blessing - simplicity is sweet!

Today, we had a very sweet reunion with my husband's family: his mother, step-father, and three of his siblings. He has not seen any of them since he came to Oregon 18 years ago. What a treat! We had wonderful fellowship, and ate delicious carne asada for lunch. I am so excited to have the opportunity to get to know some more of my new family, as they only live about 20 minutes away. We hope to have many play dates in the near future with his sister-in-law, Sandra, and her two cherubs. Her oldest, Jeffrey, is four, and her daughters is 14 months. Nefty is definitely in need of some playmates, as he missed his toys and playmates back in Oregon!

No comments: