Saturday, April 11, 2009

Semana Santa






The week that leads up to Resurrection Sunday is known as Semana Santa. In Guatemala, and other Latin American countries, the Catholic church remembers the crucifixion, burial, and resurrection of our Lord through elaborate demonstrations known as "procesiones." Parishioners of all ages choose to carry very heavy platforms displaying idols from the church that represent Jesus in various stages of the crucifixion, as well as Mary his mother and other saints. It is said that many of the parishioners believe they are paying penance by electing to carry the idols - they even have to pay money to be able to do so. They carry the idols for about a block before trading off with others. Those who carry the platforms range from 2-3 year old boys and girls to men and women in the golden years. The sight was one to see, as each parishioner was dressed in black from head to to, with the exception of the young girls, who were dressed in white.

I stood in awe as I watched the platforms go by. There was certainly a sense of reverence in remembering the tremendous sacrifice that Jesus made for each one of us on the cross. But the difference between what I was watching and what I experience personally with Jesus as my Savior was the sense of joy I had in knowing that He is alive! The parishioners moved slowly down the street as the band played various funeral dirges, mourning the crucifixion and burial. I wanted to shout praises and sing worship music because Jesus is NOT buried, but rather He is alive and living in whoever accepts Him as their personal Savior! He does not live in the idols being displayed on the platforms and in the church. Though His saints were important characters in the history of the church, praying to one or all of them will not bring you closer to Him, nor a reunion with Him in heaven.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6

As I prepare to celebrate Easter Sunday, I am reminded of the Reason for the joy that I have, the basis of my faith - Jesus is not dead; instead, He lives! Let's praise Him with glad hearts!

No comments: